Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Blog: Instagram Poetry

I don't normally blog, but I have something to say. It needs to be said. Maybe I'm not the right one to say it but I'm doing it anyway. 

Instagram is a hotbed of delusion. 

I don't just mean people photoshopping their pictures beyond recognition, buying followers, or lying that magic diet teas actually work. I mean Instagram poetry. Not all poetry on Instagram is bad, by any means, but unfortunately, most of it is. 

I think that the rise of micro/minimalist poets like Rupi Kaur have given the idea that posting a line or two of fake deep text is art, and that's sad. There is nothing wrong with short poetry, if it actually contains something of substance. I look at these so called poems, and there is no narrative, no emotion, not even any exotic words or imagery that aren't pedestrian as hell. It's sad. So, so sad to see one of the most beautiful art forms sink so low. 

Sylvia Plath didn't die for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment